Sunday, November 11, 2007

Early Tofurky Day


Saturday night we had an early Thanksgiving dinner with my family, because my sister was in town for a few days. My folks rented 2 condos in the mountains, just north of Salt Lake City, to have our early holiday feast. I was not even going to bother with a Tofurky this year because I figured it would just be my hubby and I eating it, since my 95% vegetarian mom wants meat for thanksgiving, and my sister stopped being vegetarian for more convenience foods. But, she asked for a Tofurky this year, so I made one. And it was good, as always.

This will be my 3rd holiday season that I've been meat free. I went vegetarian right after Thanksgiving 4 years ago. Since then, I've always bought the fake turkey roast at the store instead of making up something else. It's been a lovely tradition, but I'm ready for a change. This year, I've been wanting to make an all indigenous foods Thanksgiving, but I knew I would miss that Tofurky!



Anyway, I'll quit blabbering on about how much I love Tofurky... For our traditional early Thanksgiving celebration I made Tofurky, mashed potatoes & gravy, and green bean casserole. The first 2 are easy no-brainers, but that green bean casserole was amazing! I found a recipe on vegweb, but I forgot to bring it with me, so this is my own vegan green bean casserole:

green bean casserole ingredients:
  • 2 cans green beans
  • 1 larger sized can french fried onions
  • 4-5 cups plain soymilk
  • 2 Tbs corn starch
  • 1 cup mushrooms, minced
  • 1 tsp garlic & onion powder
  • salt and pepper
Directions: Preheat to 375 F. In a med saucepan add soymilk, mushrooms, corn starch and seasonings, and bring to a boil until it thickens into a soup. In a casserole dish, combine green beans, soup mixture, and 1/2 can of FF'd onions. mix together, then top with remaining onions, and bake for about 25 mins, covered.


3 comments:

Vegan_Noodle said...

I have yet to try a Tofurky! I think we'll buy one this year even if it's not for actual thanksgiving day (I'm thinking of making something with phyllo or a seitan roulade). That green bean casserole sounds yummy! I used to hate green beans growing up. But now I can't get enough of them...

Hope you had a wonderful early Thanksgiving meal with your family!

The Little Mama said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you! I've yet to try a Tofurky, and since making Sarah Kramer's version for our Thanksgiving, I don't think I'd get away with buying one. Haha. I hope you enjoyed your lovely meal. :)

Timbra said...

hooray for green bean casserole. i never thought of doing the cornstarch, i always make a rue (sp?) with butter and flour. but this will be awesome, since i refuse margarine b/c of partially hydrogenated and am not sure if my mother in law will be able to find a non trans fat one, but she's also lactose intolerant, so butter's out as well. . . . i LOVE your site! (oh and i made spaghetti squash casserole, but not vegan. . . and even mike was willing to admit it was "edible. . " ha!)