Thursday, November 22, 2007

NoTurkey Day ~ Wild Stuffed Squash



I had this vision for Thanksgiving, that I've had for years now. But every year it seams I take the easy way out, and just do a Tofurky. Last year I was pregnant, so I didn't feel like it, and this year no one else shared my vision. I've wanted to make an all indigenous Thanksgiving, with all foods from the American continents. Since no one else shared this vision of mine, it was not at all what I wanted, BUT I am not complaining. It turned out to be a wonderful holiday, filled with my favorite vegan food, and family. We had Wild Stuffed Squash, Blue Corn Bread, mashed potatoes and mushroom gravy, stuffing, and Tofurky.

I made the Wild Stuffed Squash, and it was very simple. All ingredients (besides olive oil and sage) are indigenous ingredients, and very savory & sweet.

Wild Stuffed Squash Recipe:
  • 4-5 acorn squash, sliced in half, seeded.
  • 2 cups wild rice
  • 1 cup dried cranberries
  • 1 cup roasted pumpkin seeds
  • 2 tbs chopped fresh sage
  • salt to taste
Brush squash with olive oil and roast on 400, faced down for about 30-40 mins. Meanwhile, cook the wild rice as indicated on the package. When wild rice is cooked and the water has evaporated, combine with sage, cranberries and pumpkin seeds. Scoop into cooked acorn squash and roast for about 10 mins.



For the Blue corn bread, I used this recipe on vegweb. I only had blue corn meal, so I used that instead of yellow. I ommited the pimentos and forgot to put in sugar (oops). It was good, but kind of dry, and I didn't use muffin pans (I really need to buy some).


I hope everyone else had a great holiday, filled with lots of yummy vegan comfort food!

No comments: