Wednesday, January 16, 2008

In a Baking Mood



These photos are actually from last Friday. My baby (who is 8 months old today!!!) came down with a little infection on top of teething, so I've been trying to comfort a very needy, cranky, baby on top of trying to keep up with school work.

Last Friday, before he got sick, I was in a baking mood. I started out wanting to bake my own bread, and pulled out my favorite baguette recipe from The Garden of Vegan or How it All Vegan, I forget which. I added sundried tomatoes to it, and saved half the dough for pizza.


Here is the pizza I made with the baguette dough. I got a fancy pizza pan and cutter with my new processor, so I wanted to try it out. This is my first time ever making a pizza completely from scratch. I usually buy the pre-made crusts and add toppings that way. This was much cheaper (besides the artichoke hearts, those are pricey, but they are also a MUST). On this pizza is organic pizza sauce, mushrooms, spinach, and artichoke hearts. I didn't think about the fact that mushrooms and spinach shrink when cooked, otherwise I would have added more. But it was still good for my first time.

Later on in the night, I got a craving for cookies. I used the chocolate chip cookie recipe from VWAV (Did you know I don't actually own that book, it is the library's copy and I keep renewing it!). Does anyone else have a problem with dryness from this recipe? I always have to add more liquid to it. I added about 1/4 c. or more of soymilk and about a teaspoon more molasses. These were my best batch EVER. The extra soymilk made them soooo soft. I really ate more than I should have!

7 comments:

Amy said...

Mmmmm I'm SO addicted to those cookies! I have a batch I made yesterday (plus 2 lot's of the cookie dough in the freezer waiting for next time!).

I haven't had a problem with them being dry but you seem to have solved the problem with the soy milk, they look yummy (might have to go and have one of mine that are sitting on the bench now :D)

The Little Mama said...

I love that baguette recipe too! That recipe is the first bread I ever made! Never fails. :)
I've never made those cookies (my husband is devoted to Dreena's choc. chip cookies from Vive), but yours look super yummy!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Ooh, beautiful pizza! Yum...

Vegan_Noodle said...

Oh your pizza looks fabulous! And I agree, artichoke hearts are a must even if they're a bit pricey. Totally worth it.

I have yet to make those cookies from VWAV, but they look good and soft cookies are where it's at so if I do I'll be sure to add the extra liquid!

Hope you have a wonderful weekend. And happy 8 months of life to your little one!

Anonymous said...

I have a non related blog question. do you have a recipe book you recommend for baby and toddler food? more so for baby food.

thx, another vegan mother.

Lizzy said...

Any of Cathe Olson's books are great for mamas and young children. I have vegetarian baby and vegetarian mother's cookbook. Both have vegan kid-friendly recipes. Hope that helps!

Anonymous said...

Yum!! Those cookies look great. And that pizza is divine. =)